GlassHouse Delivers Vendor Independent EUC Strategy
Many organisations appear to be viewing the imminent End-Of-Life of Citrix XenApp 6.5 as not just an opportunity to upgrade, but one to rethink and reimagine how applications are delivered to a flexible workforce.
Times have certainly moved on since every new application delivery initiative required significant capital investment and a long drawn out project to realise its benefits. Various factors are converging; cloud enablement, BYOD and restricted budgets for capital expenditure. As a result, the traditional approach to application delivery initiatives is no longer feasible.
An expanding number of technology options are available in market, but selecting the appropriate solution to align to cost, functionality, security and manageability requirements is more involved than it has been previously. If a detailed analysis of user work patterns is not considered, the risk of inadvertently introducing unexpected levels of recurring expenditure is high, as is the possibility of inadvertently creating user experience constraints. Although time-to-deploy and initial capital investment is significantly lower than it has been historically, failing to invest in strategic use-case mapping at the commencement of initiatives can prove to be costly, in the following ways:
List out impacts of missing user requirements/patterns
The GlassHouse DiscoverNow service engages with our customers to conduct a rapid analysis (2-4 weeks), with an objective to accurately determine feasible solutions specific to customer’s priorities. The following exercises are conducted:
- Facilitated workshops to gather business and technical requirements
- Identification of critical success factors
- Gathering of solution selection criteria
- Collation of cost points for solution options, including hosting, licensing and operational management
- Identification of potential constraints and risks associated with solution assumptions
- Determination of service level requirements
- Technical discovery of existing environment landscape using software tooling
Once the actual needs of the organisation and user community are defined, GlassHouse models appropriate solutions with the DesktopWorkplace service. Agnostic and impartial advisory services are assured as GlassHouse delivers engagement outputs. The contents of outputs typically include:
- Application delivery solution comparisons specific to customer requirements.
- Insight into expected monthly compute costs. This may include cloud hosting or IaaS providers.
- Expected licensing costs for short-listed solutions.
- Cost modeling over 3 years. Data presented in a graphical forecast for each of the short-listed solutions.
- Recommendations and next steps including an overview of activities required to progress to a solution deployment or proof of concept.
Upon conclusion of this engagement our customers feel confident the necessary considerations have been made to progress to a solution deployment.
For more vendor independent content, please download our Desktop-as-a-Service Workspaces Report and get in touch with us for an initial no obligation discussion.